Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Tuckers Fall 18+

The following review is for 18+ readers.
Tucker's Fall   (Purgatory Masters, #1)
Scandalized professor Maggie Cisco returns to her hometown to lick her wounds and reconsider her future. Her years of personal and professional research into the BDSM lifestyle has landed her in jail, in divorce court and now in the headlines of more newspapers than she cares to count. The worst of all? The entire debacle is being blamed on a bestselling book she hasn’t even read!
Just when she thinks her only solution is a tell all memoir, a snowstorm puts her in the path of stunningly handsome, insanely rich and equally intense, Tucker Lewis.
Tucker remembers Maggie well. They once shared a mind-numbing kiss at the annual St. Mary’s carnival when her boyfriend wasn’t looking. No stranger to scandal, he looks past public opinion to the submissive craving a master’s touch and decides then and there what he wants. He’s going after Maggie and her heart’s kinkiest desires.
Unfortunately, no amount of money can change the sins of the past and when they’re certain they know everything there is to know about each other, one discovers a secret they aren’t prepared for.

Review

***NetGalley provided me with a copy of this book for my honest review***
This is actually a 3.5 star read for me, it wasn't quite a three and not quite a 4....I will explain why.
This is the first book of the Purgatory Masters series, however, I believe that maybe this is a follow on from the Purgatory series. Some characters were in this book already seemed to have a back story that was only gone into briefly. It all seemed kind of glossed over and I felt like I may be missing some information. This is not the authors fault, it was mine, but still my confusion was there.
My problem was not with the writing or the story,because I liked both. I even really liked Tucker, my problem was Maggie. I felt for someone who had spent 10 years researching the lifestyle she seemed especially clueless as to how she should behave or what she actually wanted. This frustrated me.
However I think this could have been on purpose. The author seemed to want to get us, the readers, to understand the fiction of a bdsm lifestyle and the actual way you may feel if you actually found yourself facing these things.
I may have sat there and cringed at Maggie running away and her anxiety over certain situations, but I imagine it would be a daunting situation and not at all what it is made out to be in the books that are so popular of late, where people are all of a sudden naturally submissive. This is the conclusion I came to when references to "that book" kept on coming up in the story.
Even though I believe this was on purpose, the constant back and forward and personality changes from the character frustrated me a bit.
There was a mystery that ran throughout this book. It seems it will follow on into the next one of the series and I admit that this has pricked my curiosity. I am intrigued my the other characters Nina, Mason and Levi, and I want to know what is going on.
All in all I thought this was a good solid erotic read. It was short, but with enough info to not feel rushed. The relationship between the couple was a second chance romance, and that is one of my favorite romance themes. I really loved how it was the man who had carried the torch for leading lady and initiated the pursuit rather than the other way around.
I will look out for the others in the series when they are released.
Post by:  undefined

No comments:

Post a Comment