Monday, May 20, 2013

A Rose in the Storm 18+

The following review is for 18+ readers.

A Rose in the Storm
4 of 5 stars false 1/2 stars
When Rivalry Becomes Passion With warfare blazing through Scotland, the fate of the Comyn-MacDougall legacy depends on one woman. Recently orphaned, young Margaret Comyn must secure her clan's safety through an arranged marriage. But when an enemy invasion puts her at the mercy of the notorious Wolf of Lochaber, her every loyalty—and secret want—will be challenged.
And A Kingdom Is At Stake
Legendary warrior Alexander "The Wolf" MacDonald rides with Robert Bruce to seize the throne of Scotland. But when he takes the fiery Lady Margaret prisoner, she quickly becomes far more than a valuable hostage. For the passion between them threatens to betray their families, their country . . . and their hearts.

Review

I received this book from Netgalley for my honest review.
I admit it has been a good number of years since I have read a Brenda Joyce book and right now I am kicking myself wondering why?
This author has true talent with words. She set the scene for this book, engaged my emotions, retained my interest and truly I was sitting on the edge of my seat right up to the end.
A Rose in the Storm is set at a time in Scottish history when everything is in turmoil. Men rule, they are either warriors or politicians or common soldiers but they play the game.... and women are a disposable commodity.
In this story we have Margaret who is going to home to her mothers Castle and her dowry home. It has been arranged for her to marry Sir Guy, and English Knight. When she arrives at her home, it is besieged by Alexander " The Wolf" MacDonald.
Alexander has to admire Margaret for her bravery in not backing down and admitting defeat, she stands and tries to fight to keep what is hers. Unfortunately they are outnumbered and she is soon his prisoner and from there they have fight on their hands.
From her, the battle of not falling for her lifelong enemy and trying not to be a pawn in the battles of men
.She said, very slowly, and choosing her words with great care, " I cannot wish you well, Alexander." He did not make a sound, but she thought she saw disappointment flaring in his eyes.
She added," But I do not wish you ill."

You could tell it was a hard thing for her to swallow, as her loyalties were with her family. I admired her standing her ground.
Alexander's fight was with his emotions and trying to get a girl to understand that what he offered her was real and that he wanted her and not her castle.
Alexander? Last night changes nothing. You go to war-- as does my family-- and we fight for different kings."
"Last Night," he said quietly, "changes everything."
 I adored Alexander, he was an admirable man with the patience of a saint with Margaret. He was the perfect combination of lethal warrior and honourable man.
This was a fantastic historical romance. Brenda Joyce had done her research, because although I am sure these characters where of her own making. Names, places and battles all had a ring of familiarity to them. Names that I have heard in textbooks and history classes. It made the book and the characters all the more real in my mind, I felt totally swept back in time. A Rose in the Storm was a pure pleasure to read, if you are a historical romance fan I guarantee you will love this book.

Post by: 

No comments:

Post a Comment